The annual retail sales of pet food, treats and chews, supplies, veterinary and non-medical services, and live animals were estimated to be approximately $117 billion by Packaged Facts in 2021. We operate primarily within the pet supplies and live fish and live small animal categories, and we estimate these markets generate around $33 billion in annual retail sales. Over 2,500 manufacturers, mostly small companies with limited product lines and distribution chains, must rely on us or other distributors to support their supply distribution to specialty chains and retailers.
eCommerce was a driving force in the pet retail business totaling 30% of pet products in 2021, with Packaged Facts expecting the total to continue to increase due to the pandemic.
Our pet categories are dog & cat, aquatics and reptile, small animal and bird supplies, animal health products and live fish and small animals.
Dog and Cat – Our propriety dog and cat products include chews, treats and toys, containment, bedding and grooming products, waste management solutions, educational books and digital content.
- Cadet® bullsticks, rawhide and other natural dog chews and treats
- DMC™ dog and cat beds
- Four Paws® grooming and health & wellness products, containment, Wee Wee® training pads and waste management solutions
- K&H Pet Products® premium pet supplies and heated pet products
- Nylabone® dog chew toyz, Nubz®, Healthy Edibles® long lasting dog chews and NutriDent® dental chews
Aquatics and Reptiles – We supply aquariums and terrariums along with their fixtures and furniture, food, water conditioners and supplements, lighting systems and accessories under these brands:
- Aqueon® aquarium products
- Blagdon® pond equipment and water gardening
- Coralife® specialized aquatics products
- Kent Marine® aquatic supplements and solutions
- Zilla® reptile products
Small Animal and Bird – Our proprietary supplies and pet food for small animals, pet birds and wild birds offer species-specific diets, treats, habitats, bedding, hay and toys. Our widely recognized brands include:
- C&S wildlife specialty food and feeding accessories
- Forti-Diet® food and treats
- K&H pet and hobby farming products
- Kaytee® nutrition, bedding and hard goods
- Pennington wild bird food, feeders, houses and accessories
Animal Health – We supply pet calming products and flea and tick controls. We further dominate in innovative products for horses in the fly control, supplements, grooming, deworming, wound care, leather care and rodenticide categories. We are the only domestic producer of (S)-Methoprene, which is an active ingredient that controls mosquitoes, flies, fleas, beetles and ants in insect control products.
- Adams™ flea and tick control
- Altosid® mosquito control
- ClariFly®IGR insect growth regulator
- Comfort Zone® cat calming solutions
- Farnam® horse care products
- Horse Health™ horse care products
- Vita Flex® horse care products
- Zodiac® flea and tick control
- Zoëcon® professional pest control products
The garden industry is estimated to have been approximately $36 billion in annual retail sales in 2021 by Packaged Facts and The Freedonia Group. This includes a wide range of consumable, landscaping and decorative products, wild bird and animal products. We estimate that we participate in a segment of approximately $33 billion based on annual retail sales of lawn and garden consumables, decorative products and live plants. Most products are sold to consumers through distribution channels like home centers, mass merchants, independent nurseries and hardware stores. These retailers have responded to the pandemic by increasing their buy online-pickup in store (BOPIS) strategies.
Our main lawn and garden product lines focus on the space in and around our homes and nurture healthy lawns and plants.
Grass Seed, Vegetable, Herb and Flower Seeds – We focus on marketing, producing and distributing numerous varieties of grass seed as well as vegetable, herb and flower seeds and seed starter packages.
- American Seed® plant seed
- Ferry Morse® plant seeds
- Livingston® plant seed
- McKenzie® plant seed
- NK Lawn & Garden® plant seed
- Pennington® grass seed
Wild Bird – We offer a proprietary blend of vitamins and minerals in our wild bird mixes, as well as bird feeders, bird houses and other birding accessories.
- 3-D® bird food
- Pennington wild bird seed, feeders, houses and accessories
- Wild Delight® wild bird food and feeders
Fertilizers and Controls – We sell a wide range of lawn and garden weed, moss, insect and pest control products, soil supplements and stimulants:
- Amdro® pest controls
- Alaska® Fish Fertilizer by Pennington
- Corry's® slug and snail control
- Daconil® fungicide
- Dyna-Gro® hydroponic plant nutrients
- Earth Juice® hydroponic fertilizer
- IMAGE weed and vegetation control
- Ironite® mineral supplements
- Lilly Miller® lawn and plant fertilizer
- Moss Out® moss control
- Over-N-Out® fire ant killer
- Pennington fertilizer
- RootBoost® rooting hormones
- Sevin® bug killer
- SUPERthrive® lawn and plant fertilizer
- Pro Care® plant fertilizer
Decor – Central offers terra cotta pottery and indoor and outdoor decor:
- Ferry Morse pots and planters, vases and wall decor
- Pennington terra cotta
Live Goods – We are the primary supplier of flowers and plants to The Home Depot in the North East and mid-Atlantic region:
- Bell Nursery
- Hopewell Nursery